This proposed 16,350 square foot house of worship would require
65% more land than owned to meet the legal requirements.
The structure would be too big, too high, too wide, too close to neighbors,
and without a major variance, would not be legal.
Contributions can be made to:
Connell Foley LLP
Attorney Trust Account
Please mail check to:
Connell Foley LLP
85 Livingston Avenue
Roseland NJ 07068,
Attn: Kevin J. Coakley
(Funds only distributed with consent
of the Association's trustees)
- Millburn zoning allows a house of worship to be built in a residential area but requires it to be on a minimum of three 3 acres.
- The Chai Center group has only 1.815 acres of the required 3 acres even after combining their properties at number 1 and 7 Jefferson Avenue (corner lot facing Old Short Hills Road).
- The Chai Center is asking that the height of the structure be allowed to go above town approved height of 32 feet.
- The Chai Center proposes many of the 48 car parking spaces be allowed to be closer to neighbors properties than the required 50-foot buffer.
- The Chai Center proposes that entrances/exits be added on Old Short Hills Road which is already heavy with traffic and is the main thoroughfare for ambulances to and from St. Barnabas Hospital.
- The Chai Center proposes large signage or identification on Old Short Hills Road.
- The Chai Center wants to have a screened dumpster enclosure, an underground storage facility for storm water, fences, walkways and extensive landscaping.
- The Chai Center, in deference to local area, will build the large structure to look like existing Dutch Colonial homes in the area.
- The Chai Center is currently conducting services and holding classes with many cars parking on the front yard, back yard and on neighboring streets.
Save Millburn is the name for the local, registered, non-profit group,
The Concerned Neighborhood Association of Millburn Township, Inc. - Email Help@SaveMillburn.com